Lysekloster – The Monastery of Lyse – was founded in 1146 by bishop Sigurd in Bergen. He owned the farm Lyse at Os, and there he built the first Cistercian monastery in Norway. Its mother monastery was Fountains Abbey in England, from which he brought the first monks. The monastery grew to be big and powerful, and at the time of the Reformation it was one of the most important property owners in the country. After the Reformation Lyse kloster became the property of the Danish King, but during the following century a number of owners allowed a gradual destruction of the buildings to take place. Stone from the buildings at Lyse Kloster was used while building The Rosenkrantz Tower in Bergen and Kronborg Castle in Denmark. The ruins are today partly restored, and are beyond comparison the most frequently visited cultural monument at Os.
Lysekloster Opening Hours 2019
Open all year – open air area.
You may also be interested in Lysoen Island and Ole Bull’s Villa
|Telephone:||+47 55 55 20 00.|