Schotstuene (also known as the Hanseatic Assembly Rooms), as they are today, were originally not adjacent to each other, but were singular houses behind each building (tenement) on Bryggen. Jakobsfjorden and Bellgaarden, in the middle, are presenting the period before 1702. To the right is the copy of Svensgaarden, from 1708. The third room, Bredsgaarden, has to a large extent been kept in its original conditions from 1709, but was completely rebuilt in 1761.
Schotstuene belonged to the joint properties of the tenements. Each tenement had an assembly room with a cook-house. Schotstue was an assembly place for the local employees (managers, foremen and apprentices) in the wintertime (October-April), because it was the only heated room. In combination with the cook-house, the assembly room was a place where hot meals were served.
An assembly room had several functions. In the winter it was used as a classroom for the apprentices. Daily services and funerals were conducted in the assembly room. The annual meeting was held here and once a year a court session, at which the employees that had committed crimes were punished (lashes from a bull-whip, fines paid off in cash, flour or in beer). The sinners had earlier been pointed out with the staff and their names had been noted on the blackboard.
The administration was headed by the master of the tenement (Bauherr). He was accompanied by the beer purchaser (Bierkaufer) and the wood purchaser (Holzkaufer).
In the stately “table” (Kannestuhl) the hymn books and drinking vessels were kept.
The so-called games with their parties, were initiation rituals held in the assembly room. All the newcomers to the Hanseatic Office in Bergen had to undergo them in order to become full members of this Hanseatic society.
Situated in the center of Bergen, walking distance from the Fish Market (approx. 5 minutes).
|Location:||Center of Bergen.|
|Telephone:||+47 55 31 60 20.|